Newsletter Archive

Issue 415 - July 2007

Previous Issue
June 2007
Current Newsletter
This month's Newsletter

Archive Index
Next Issue
August 2007

Chairman's Column

Next Article

July Meeting

On behalf of the Society I am delighted to welcome Roger Cansdale of the Surrey & Hampshire Canal Society to our July meeting to talk to us about the Basingstoke Canal. In addition to the history of our local canal Roger will provide us with an update on current developments and the future in as far as funding and management proposals are concerned.

June Newsletter

Apologies to those members who receive their Newsletter via post for the delay in sending out the June issue. That was due to unforeseen circumstances.

June Speaker

Due to pressure on space in this month's Newsletter, the write-up on Colin Ward's talk 'Lots to do at the Soo' at our last meeting will be held over to the next issue.

2007 Annual General Meeting

This issue of the Newsletter is our annual 'special bumper' edition, containing most of the documentation for our 40th Annual General Meeting which will be held at our next meeting on 26 July 2007. Unfortunately, the Treasurer's Report and Accounts were not to hand when this issue went to press. To save further printing costs can you please bring this Newsletter with you to the AGM.

A reminder that, due to retirements, we will have vacancies for Vice-Chairman, Secretary, and Auditor. It is essential that these positions are filled without delay to ensure the continuing efficiency and effectiveness of our Society.

Society Autumn Boat Trip

At our last meeting I announced that there had been equal interest from members for the proposed trip to either the Black Country Museum or the horse-drawn boat trip on the Kennet & Avon Canal. It was decided that we should proceed with the boat trip and postpone the Museum outing to 2008. In the event we learnt that the Kennet & Avon horse boat season ceases at the end of September. As an alternative Maureen made enquiries about the horse-drawn trip boat on the River Wey and Godalming Navigation. Whilst the Godalming Packetboat Co also normally ends its operations at the end of September Maureen was able to persuade them to extend that by a further week and, therefore, she has booked 'Iona' for a trip on Saturday 6 October. Full details below.

Anniversary Clothing

Further to the item in the last Newsletter and my announcement at the June meeting, orders will be taken for the Society's 40th Anniversary clothing as from the July meeting.

'Day-Star Theatre'

As members are aware, our main event for our 40th Anniversary Year will be a return visit by 'Day-Star Theatre on Thursday 4 October 2007. Tickets for that performance - "What's all the fuss about?" are now on sale from me at £5 each, which will include the usual after show supper. I would love to be able to put out the 'House Full' board so please encourage your colleagues and friends to join us in what will be a very enjoyable evening. And don't forget, we will all be enjoying Pam McKeown's special anniversary cake that evening.

Ann & Bob Dukes

We are all aware that we haven't seen Ann and Bob Dukes at our meetings for some time. I mentioned in the March Newsletter that Ann was unwell and was undergoing treatment. I spoke to Bob recently and he confirmed that Ann's treatment is ongoing. Unfortunately it is always on a Thursday which prevents them getting along to Society meetings. I passed on our best wishes and regards to them both and they asked to be remembered to their many friends in the Society.

Paul Herbert

Society Boat Trip
River Wey & Godalming Navigation - 6 October 2007

Top of Page

Next Article

Maureen has organised a further outing for the Society and, on behalf of all members, I want to express our thanks for her continuing efforts on our behalf.

Horse with IonaOn Saturday 6 October we have chartered the horse-drawn narrowboat 'Iona', which is operated by the Godalming Packetboat Company on the River Wey and Godalming Navigation. 'Iona' began life as the 'Bellerophon' in 1935 working for the Grand Union Carrying Company. In 1960 she featured in the famous waterways film 'The Bargee' with Ronnie Barker and Harry H Corbett, and also appeared in an episode of 'Coronation Street'. The boat will be hauled by either of the heavy horses, Ben or Rosie.

Our 2 hour charter trip will start from Godalming Wharf, in the centre of Godalming, at 2pm. The cost will be £12 per person which includes a Cream Tea on board. Maureen has based the costings on a party of 30 people. However, 'Iona' can accommodate up to 48 people so there will be plenty of room for our members and their family and friends. Wouldn't it be great if we could manage to fill the boat!

We are now taking bookings - don't delay, book today!

Maureen can be contacted by telephone on 02380 406951 or by email on

Paul Herbert

Annual General Meeting 2007

Previous Article

Top of Page

Next Article

In accordance with the Constitution, notice is hereby formally given of the Southampton Canal Society's Annual General Meeting on the 26th July 2007 at Chilworth Parish Hall, Chilworth Road, Chilworth, Southampton at 7.45pm.

Any member may request an item to be included on the agenda of the AGM by giving at least fourteen days written notice of the item and its nature to the Chairman.

Agenda for Forthcoming AGM

Previous Article

Top of Page

Next Article



Chilworth Parish Hall, Chilworth, Southampton

Thursday 26 July 2007 at 7.45 pm


  1. Announcements.
  2. Apologies for Absence.
  3. Minutes of 2006 Annual General Meeting held on 27 July 2006 (herewith) and matters arising.
  4. Chairman's Report (herewith).
  5. Secretary's Report (herewith).
  6. Treasurer and Membership Secretary's Report. (Income and Expenditure Account for the year ended 31 March 2007 and the Balance Sheet as at 31 March 2007).
  7. Review of Annual Subscription Rates.
  8. Election of the following Officers:-
  9. Election of Committee (the Officers plus up to three other Society Members. Additional Members may be co-opted as required).
  10. Any other business relevant to an Annual General Meeting, where prior notice of the item has been given.


Note: In accordance with the Society's Constitution, only fully paid up members are eligible to vote at a meeting of the Society. Individual members and affiliated member organisations are entitled to one vote. Joint or family membership entitles that category to a maximum of two votes. Only members aged 18 or over are eligible to vote. All votes have to be cast in person, no proxy votes being permitted.

Minutes of 2006 AGM

Previous Article

Top of Page

Next Article






The Annual General Meeting was chaired by Paul Herbert, Chairman of Southampton Canal Society.


There were apologies for absence from:-

Martin & Dawn Cripps
Colin & Rosemary Davis
Tony & Pauline Fry
Ron & Myra Glover
Adrienne Howarth
David Pearce
Linda Pearce


An attendance register was circulated and 30 members recorded their attendance. The attendance register forms part of the minutes of the Annual General Meeting.


The minutes of the 38th Annual General Meeting held on 28 July 2005 had been provided, in advance, to all members attending the meeting and it was proposed by Peter Oates and seconded by Laurie Pearce that the minutes be accepted. On being put to the vote the minutes were accepted by the members present. The Chairman signed the minutes as an accurate reflection of the business discussed at that meeting.

There were no matters arising from the minutes of the 2005 Annual General Meeting.


The Chairman's report had been provided, in advance, to all members attending the meeting. Therefore, Paul Herbert presented his report, as read, just highlighting items of particular note, including the future of the Newsletter, the Society's 40th anniversary in 2007 and the need for a drive to increase membership. He also referred to the death of a number of current and former members during the year. There were no questions.


The Secretary's report had been provided, in advance, to all members attending the meeting. Therefore, Eric Lewis presented his report as read, just highlighting items of particular note, including an appeal for any suggestions for future speakers. There were no questions.


The Treasurer and Membership Secretary's report, which included the un-audited income and expenditure account for the year ended 31st March 2006 and the balance sheet as at 31 March 2006, had been provided, in advance, to all members attending the meeting. Laura Sturrock presented her report as read, highlighting items of particular note.

There were no questions on the accounts. It was proposed by Alan Rose and seconded by Maureen Greenham that the Treasurer and Membership Secretary's report and the accounts be accepted and this was approved by the members present.


Bearing in mind the Society's policy to annually review its membership subscription rates in order to keep pace with increasing costs, the Committee had considered that issue and recommended the following subscription rates for 2006/07 to the Annual General Meeting:-

  Current Proposed
Individual Membership £13 £14
Family Membership £18 £20

It was proposed by Rogan Olding and seconded by Anne Coleman that the proposed 2006/07 subscription rates be accepted and that was approved by the members present.


That part of the Annual General Meeting was chaired by the President, Brian Evans. The Chairman introduced that item, explaining some impending changes.

Martin Cripps, who had been a Committee member since the autumn of 1988, at which time he became Secretary, a post he held for some years, had indicated that he wished to retire as a Committee member with effect from the current AGM. Martin had given many years of valuable continued service to the Society and had been printing the Newsletter for several months. A vote of thanks to Martin was proposed by Brian Evans and seconded by Paul Herbert, which was endorsed by all those present. The Committee had proposed that a suitable gift be presented to Martin and that was agreed by the AGM.

Despite moving to the Midlands last December, Laura Sturrock had been pleased to continue her various roles with the Society, viz. Vice-Chairman, Treasurer, and Membership Secretary. However, she could foresee possible time constraints in the future and had advised that she would now only be able to continue on a year-to-year basis, unless of course someone else volunteered to take over as Treasurer.

At the last Committee meeting Eric Lewis gave notice that he would only be able to continue as Secretary for one more year.

The remaining Committee members, Peter Oates, David Townley-Jones, Maureen Greenham and Alan Rose, had all indicated their willingness to serve for a further year.

Therefore, with effect from the current AGM, there was the need to fill the Committee vacancy as a result of Martin Cripps' retirement. With effect from the 2007 AGM there would be the need to elect a new Secretary and Committee member as a result of the retirement of Eric Lewis.

Turning to the election of officers and committee members, there had been no other nominations prior to the meeting. However, Anne Colman volunteered to take over the position of Treasurer & Membership Secretary when Laura retired. The Chairman thanked Anne for her offer and advised her and members that, if elected, she would take on a temporary role as Assistant Treasurer & Membership Secretary with effect from the current AGM, and that would enable her to shadow Laura during the ensuing year.

The following officer appointments were proposed:-

Position Name Proposed by Seconded by
Chairman Paul Herbert Michael Pomeroy Annegret Evans
Vice-Chairman Laura Sturrock John Silman Alan Howarth
Secretary Eric Lewis Ann Coleman Lynn Olding
Treasurer & Membership Secretary Laura Sturrock Maureen Greenham Terry Phippard
Asst Treasurer & Membership Secretary Anne Coleman Michael Pomeroy Peter Oates

Upon being put to the vote, the above officer appointments were approved by the members present.

Regarding the election of committee members, there was one vacancy, created by the retirement of Martin Cripps. Anne Coleman's appointment as Assistant Treasurer &Membership Secretary would fill that vacancy. It was therefore proposed by Brenda Pomeroy and seconded by Laurie Pearce that Peter Oates, David Townley-Jones, Maureen Greenham and Alan Rose be appointed to the Committee. Upon being put to the vote, the above committee appointments were approved by the members present.

Peter Oates confirmed his willingness to continue as the Society Webmaster and Editor of the Newsletter.


There had been no notice of any other business, relevant to an Annual General Meeting. However, John Silman expressed thanks on behalf of the Society to all the Officers and the Committee.

The meeting closed at 8.40pm.


Chairman's Report - 2006/07

Previous Article

Top of Page

Next Article

I am pleased to present to members of Southampton Canal Society my sixth Chairman's Report.

On 1 June 2007 the Society realised its 40th 'birthday' and this important anniversary will be celebrated at various meetings and events during 2007 and 2008. Looking back over those forty years the Society has remained a progressive and go ahead organisation, highly respected in the inland waterways movement. We have a lot to be thankful for and the Society has achieved a great deal, in constantly changing times, with many other activities competing for our leisure time.

It has been an eventful year on the waterways, both at national and local level. Nationally there were the savage cuts to the waterways budgets of British Waterways and the Environment Agency by DEFRA, mainly due to incompetence within that Government Department. This lead to the vigorous 'Save Our Waterways' campaign, which certainly brought home the issues to a very wide audience. Locally the Basingstoke Canal faced financial pressures of its own and discussions are ongoing regarding its future management; progress is being made on the Itchen Navigation Project; whilst the Wey & Arun Canal Trust's restoration work on that waterway forges ahead.

As far as our own Society is concerned, we have had a good year. We remain in 'good health' and our financial situation is sound. We have managed to attract a few new members though increasing our membership base must become a priority. We have enjoyed an excellent programme of speakers with a very varied programme covering various UK waterways plus those in Southern Germany, Portugal and North America. Nature and the countryside have not been neglected nor has boat restoration and maintenance. We hosted the annual Inter-Society Waterways Quiz - congratulations to our own team for lifting that trophy again. Our annual Photographic Evening and Competition was again a very entertaining event. In addition, we enjoyed a Skittles Evening and a combined boat trip and mill visit on the Wey and Arun Canal. We were not able to hold our usual Boat Gathering in the spring but it is still hoped to be able to organise something later in the year.

After some initial concerns about the future of the Newsletter we managed to find a new Printer and, thanks to our Editor, that important publication has continued to provide our membership, and others, with news about our current and future activities. We continued to promote the new initiative of making the Newsletter available online to those members able and willing to receive the monthly issues via that medium, thereby reducing our printing and postage costs. The number of members receiving their copy of the Newsletter in this way has increased and I would encourage others with access to email to change over to that method.

As part of our 40th Anniversary Celebrations we have arranged for the supply of appropriately branded Society sweat-shirts and polo-shirts and these will be available shortly.

The Committee has continued to work well, on all aspects of the operation of the Society, and I would now take this opportunity to thank each member personally: our Vice-Chairman, Treasurer and Membership Secretary, Laura Sturrock; our Assistant Treasurer and Membership Secretary, Anne Coleman; our Secretary, Eric Lewis; our Newsletter Editor and Webmaster, Peter Oates; our Raffle Manager, David Townley-Jones; our Outings Organiser, Maureen Greenham; and last but by no means least, Alan Rose who has been so supportive on the Committee and assisting with the Newsletter.

Thanks are also due to Alan Howarth for running the Society Library (and also to Alan and Adrienne for storing all those boxes); to Laurie Pearce for his regular assistance with the raffle; to Gill Herbert and her volunteers for providing our monthly refreshments; to Rogan and Lynn Olding for organising our Skittles Evening(s), and to Sue Lewis for the annual auditing of our accounts. In addition, many thanks to all those members who arrive early at our meetings and lay out the hall, and to all other members for their continued support of the Society.

At this year's AGM two of our long standing officers, Laura Sturrock and Eric Lewis, are retiring from the Committee, having given a year's notice of their intentions. In addition, Sue Lewis will be retiring as our Auditor upon the signing off of the 2006/07 Accounts.

At the 1995 AGM Laura was elected our Treasurer and Membership Secretary, automatically joining the Committee. She was elected Vice-Chairman at the 2000/01 AGM when I succeeded Brian Evans as Chairman. Eric has served the Society in a number of roles over many years. According to my research, he was first elected to the Committee at the 1978 AGM. In 1981 he was elected Vice-Chairman, a post he held until 1985, when he left the Committee. At the 1991 AGM he was formally elected to the Committee having been co-opted during the year. Eric was elected Treasurer and Membership Secretary in 1992 and remained in that position until the 1995 AGM when Laura took over those duties and Eric became Secretary. He retired from that role at the 1999 AGM. Eric returned to the Committee at the 2002 AGM, taking over as Secretary in November of that year.

Fortunately, at last year's AGM Anne Coleman volunteered to take over Laura's Treasurer and Membership Secretary roles and was elected to the Committee as Assistant Treasurer and Membership Secretary, with the intention of 'shadowing' Laura until this year's AGM. In the event Anne gradually took over Laura's duties and, to all intent and purposes, has acted in that role for much of the past year.

One of our main tasks at this AGM must be to elect a new Secretary and new Vice-Chairman. It is possible for the same person to fulfil both roles. We will also need a replacement Auditor. I must remind members that this is our Society and it is the responsibility of all members to work for the Society. Please do not assume that someone else will come forward to volunteer to take on these responsibilities or that either I or another Committee member will be able to increase our existing workloads.

And so, what for the future? We will continue with our 40th Anniversary Celebrations with a special return visit by 'Day-Star Theatre' in October, closely followed by a boat trip on the River Wey & Godalming Navigation. Other outings are planned for 2008. It is hoped that further Skittles Evenings can be arranged. A number of speakers have already been booked for next year and it is anticipated that our 2008 programme will soon be filled.

In all my previous Annual Reports I stated that the future looked bright for the Society if we were able to maintain our membership numbers and our sound financial position. We have not managed to attract sufficient new members and we must all work hard to bring the existence of the Society to the attention of people with waterways interests, living in our area.

It just leaves me to conclude by thanking all members for your continued support of the Society as we prepare to enter our 41st year.

Paul Herbert

Secretary's Report - 2006/07

Previous Article

Top of Page

As Secretary my thanks go first to Paul Herbert, our Chairman, for successfully leading the Society through its 40th year.

Thanks also go to the many speakers who have made our meetings possible. Topics have included "London's Waterways" with Chris Cove-Smith, "The Royal Military Canal" by George Fleming, "The Moving Meadow" delivered by Peter Boyce and "Surrey and Hants Canal Society" explained by Roger Cansdale.

Once again our own members must not be overlooked. They provided an excellent evening of prints and slides in January as well as retaining for the Society the coveted Waterways Quiz trophy in December, whilst our President, Brian Evans, delighted us with a long awaited evening of standard 8 cine films entitled "Early Canalling Days". Foreign waterways were represented by Roger Squires visiting the River Duoro in Portugal, "Lots to do at the Soo" with Colin Ward and another excellent cruise with Ron and Myra Glover, this time along the rivers of Southern Germany. Additional variety was brought to our programme by another visit by Dennis Bright with a photographic "Calendar of British Wildlife".

Monthly attendances remain generally good, which is encouraging, but recently some attendances have been rather disappointing. Our meetings continue to be publicised on local radio and in local newspapers as well as in the national waterways magazines.

Another very successful year.

Eric Lewis

Send your comments to the Web Site manager (Peter Oates)

© Southampton Canal Society 1999 - 2007. Except where otherwise indicated, information on these pages may be reproduced provided permission is obtained from the Web Site manager beforehand and due acknowledgement made to the Society.

Page created 9 July 2007 - archived 29 July 2007.

  Previous Issue
June 2007
Current Newsletter
This month's Newsletter

Archive Index
Next Issue
August 2007

This page is valid XHTML 1.0